So, from the picture, you might well get it about square foot gardening, that how it looks like? And what is it? But then let me explain it to you more to get a detailed description of it. In the following article, we get to know about Square foot gardening? So please don’t skip the article from anywhere and read it carefully because it will be very useful for all of you guys.
What is square foot gardening?
So, Square foot gardening divides the portion or area you want to cultivate for different purposes into squares. It is better to divide them into small squares because it looks quite attractive in this way, which might be about 1 foot each square. Still, you can increase the length as per choice. The term “square foot gardening” has been given by this type of gardening by Mel Bartholomew.
A particular place is selected in this type of gardening, and squares are made in that area; it depends on how many yards you want to make and how much the site is. Then after making that squares, different types of plants are being harvested in that area.
What type of plants are been grown in square foot gardening?
So, next is the Question of what we need to grow in this type of gardening so mostly it is used for the cultivation of different kinds of foods, whether it be fruits or vegetables such as; celery, corn, eggplant, okra, peppers, potatoes, rosemary, tomatoes, kale, parsley, cucumbers, pumpkins, watermelons, winter squash, basil, garlic, onions, Swiss chard, green beans, peas, spinach, carrots, turnip and many more, so basically you have learned that this type of gardening is used for foods.
Benefits of square foot gardening:
So, this is one of the best methods of gardening because of the following reasons;
- You can grow many fruits and vegetables only in a small space.
- You can use your balcony, or even if you have some extra growing place in your home, there isn’t any need for a large ground or area.
- Then, in this type of gardening, weeding is prevented by using weed-free soil mix.
- You don’t have to put a lot of effort into it.
- It will not affect the area you are being cultivated.
- And one of the best things is that you will get homegrown vegetables or fruits that might be more healthy and costly than the markets.
Basic techniques for square foot gardening:
So, it might prove very easy for you to learn them;
- First of all, you need a 4-by-4 box. You can build it by yourself. And must use the weed barriers to avoid growing weed.
- Then you can use any soil which you prefer to or might find it worth, but again, it should be weed-free.
3. Then lay out the Grid for spacing.
4. So, plant your seeds of whatever fruits or vegetables you are using.
5. Then, as you do, water it daily and let it grow.
IT’S very simple and just like the other gardening techniques, but there is only the difference of Grid which you can make easily at home.
Here you can see what these grids look like.
It is important because these grids help provide enough space for every plant and give a neat look to your box.
Also read: how to remove blackheads from nose.