Buttermilk, buttermilk or buttermilk the name by which it is called abroad, it is a product of the transformation of cream into butter and is widely used in Anglo-American cuisine. The characteristic of buttermilk is its sour taste, which gives a very light but pleasant sour note to sweets and leavened products, and its ability to make the preparations soft and fluffy. In addition to sweet preparations, buttermilk is also used to marinate meat and game in order to soften it (for example, American fried chicken is marinated in buttermilk).
Although the fat part is eliminated, buttermilk still contains lactose so it is NOT suitable for intolerant people. Among its properties, there is certainly its low caloric intake, since all the fat is eliminated to obtain it. On the market, buttermilk is not always easy to find, besides the well-stocked supermarkets, it is an ethnic shop since it is widely used in Anglo-Saxon and American cuisine. With this cooking school card, we explain how to make it easily and quickly at home!
- Fresh liquid cream 250 ml
INGREDIENTS FOR 125 G OF BUTTERMILK PREPARED WITH YOGURT
- Low-fat yoghurt 62 g
- Skimmed milk 62 g
- Lemon juice 1 tsp
HOW TO MAKE BUTTERMILK WITH CREAM
There are two ways to prepare buttermilk: the simple one requires the use of the cream. Pour the fresh cream into a clean bowl, and start whipping the cream with an electric mixer or a planetary mixer equipped with whips
- continue until the cream has “disassembled” becoming solid
- when you get to this point it means that the milk and the fat part have separated
- To achieve this you will need to whip the cream for about 20 minutes. At this point, put the fat part in a narrow-mesh colander and press it with a spatula in order to let out all the liquid contained
- Compact the fat part, in this way you will have obtained the butter, while the remaining liquid is the buttermilk (5-6). With a 250ml package of fresh cream, you get about 90g of butter and 125ml of buttermilk.
HOW TO MAKE BUTTERMILK WITH YOGURT
There is another version to prepare butter milk at home, certainly simpler and faster and which can be a valid alternative to real butter milk. Squeeze the lemon, being careful to filter the seeds.
- Pour the low-fat yoghurt into a bowl, dissolve it using a hand whisk and add the skimmed milk
- And finally the lemon juice
- Mix well until you get a homogeneous mixture, let it rest for 10 minutes before adding it to the preparation!
The butter obtained through this process can be stored in the refrigerator. For about 1 week or in the freezer for 2-3 weeks.
The most famous recipe in which butter milk is used is the Red Velvet Cake. But you can also use it normally in other sweet preparations. By completely replacing the dose of milk with the same amount of butter milk.
Also read: how to flirt over text