The main culprit is usually a diet rich in fat, and it is easy to reduce them if you control your diet. Don’t let it go because, like high cholesterol, triglycerides put your heart at risk. In the following article, we get to know about How to lower triglycerides? So don’t skip the article from anywhere and read it carefully because it’s going to be very useful for you guys.
When we talk about lipids (or fats) in the blood, we almost always think of cholesterol. It is one of the values that most attracts our attention in the analysis if it is high to lower triglycerides.
However, we pay less attention to triglycerides, a type of fat found in the blood, even though the values are high to lower triglycerides. And this is a mistake because hyperglycemia (high blood triglycerides), if not controlled, also increases the cardiovascular risk to lower triglycerides.
Another fairly common mistake is to think that it is enough to eat a low-fat diet to lower triglycerides, as in the case of cholesterol.
We have spoken with Dr. Cecilia Liñán, an endocrinologist at the Catalan Institute of Endocrinology and the Mi Tres Torres Clinic in Barcelona, to clarify this and other doubts.
WHAT CAN HAPPEN TO HIGH LEVELS:
Triglycerides, like cholesterol, can accumulate in the arteries and cause atheroma plaques that make it difficult for blood to pass through the streets to lower triglycerides.
Levels above 200 mg/dl in the blood increase the risk of thrombosis and, therefore, myocardial infarction or stroke to lower triglycerides.
WHY DO TRIGLYCERIDES GO UP
The increase in triglycerides is directly linked to food. The same does not happen with cholesterol since people have a hereditary predisposition to “manufacture” cholesterol (familial hypercholesterolemia) and cannot lower it even if they do not eat saturated fat to lower triglycerides.
Therefore, if the culprit of high triglycerides is almost always diet, achieving healthy levels is easy if we control our diet. But … do you know how to get it?
REDUCING FAT IS NOT ENOUGH
As in the case of high cholesterol, the recommendation is to reduce the consumption of saturated and trans fats to lower triglycerides. In the case of triglycerides, it is not enough to mitigate this type of lipid. It is also advisable to:
- Control the consumption of carbohydrates. The reason is that people who tend to have high triglycerides have a metabolic disorder that causes carbohydrates (even complexes such as whole grains -bread, pasta, rice …-) to become fat very quickly to lower triglycerides.
- YOUR DIET PLAN TO LOWER THEM
- If you keep these tips in mind when planning your menus, you will balance their levels.
- Reduce the consumption of red meat, sausages, organ meats and whole dairy products. They are very rich in saturated fat.
- Eliminate industrial pastries and precooked ones. They are usually very rich in trans fats.
- Limit simple carbohydrates (refined flours, table sugar) to specific moments because they do not suit you.
- Reduce complex carbohydrates. Although they are more recommended than the previous ones, people with high trigly cerides quickly transform them into fat. You can only take 60 g of legumes or 40 g of rice or 120 g of potatoes or 80 g of pasta per day.
- Take two servings of vegetables a day (one steamed and the other raw).
- Eat foods rich in polyunsaturated fats (good fats): olive oil, nuts, oily fish … Obviously,y these foods are caloric. So, they should be consumed in moderation if you are overweight. A factor that in itself favors trigly cerides.
OTHER FACTORS TO CONTROL
Although the origin is almost always a diet rich in fat and carbohydrates, other factors also increase the risk:
- Obesity, especially abdominal. Visceral fat generates pro-inflammatory substances and favors the increase of trigly cerides.
- The consumption of alcohol and sugary drinks favors the hepatic synthesis of trigly cerides.
- The sedentary lifestyle.
- Some drugs such as contraceptives and diuretics.
- Diseases such as diabetes are associated with high trigly cerides if it is not controlled.
Also read: how to change font style in WhatsApp